For more than two centuries, Front Royal has demonstrated an unwavering commitment to providing public access to literature and learning. The Front Royal Librarian Society was the second subscription library in the state of Virginia, and received its charter on January 18th, 1799.
On March 19th, 1836 the General Assembly passed an act which incorporated the Front Royal Library Society in the County of Warren. Throughout the next century, the Library struggled and persevered through war and depression.
In 1952 Dr. Bernard Samuels donated a building to house the Library. This generosity was acknowledged through the renaming of the Library.
Samuels Public Library was born.
Walter Samuels followed in his brother's path, when upon his death in 1976, he left a large bequest to the Library. This commitment enabled the Library to build a new and modern facility which opened to the public in 1980. With continued community growth, it became apparent early in the 21st century that it was once again time to build a new, better, more modern Library for the citizens of Front Royal and Warren County. The Warren County Board of Supervisors funded the building project, and on June 10th, 2009 the new Samuels Public Library opened its doors to our community.
Through the commitment and vision of individuals, government and community, Front Royal and Warren County have continued the vision of our 18th century forefathers to provide for all residents the ability to embrace books and knowledge.
Director & Board of Trustees
The Samuels Library Board of Trustees meet the second Monday of every other month at 5:30 p.m. Click here to view a detailed schedule of their meetings.
Library Board Members
Major General Henry M. Hobgood, USAF Ret.
Warren County Board of Supervisors Representative
Friends of Samuels Library Representative